Skip to main content

Of love,duty and Karma ...

As I sit on the 14th floor of Jaslok Hospital, looking out at the sea, my mind is anything but calm.

Mum is shortly due to undergo a valve replacement surgery, and I am filled with mixed emotions, anxiety, fear, hope, and above all, that nagging question: Have I done the right thing?

Because if you ask Mum, there is nothing much wrong with her.

“I’m fine,” she says. “I just get a little breathless. It comes with age.”

But Kiran and I could see what she perhaps did not want to see.

This is a woman who has always been fitter than me. She has climbed mountains in a jiffy, walked at least 10 kilometres every day without thinking twice, and rarely seemed to tire. Gradually, that woman began getting breathless and exhausted after the slightest effort. Even standing long enough to make herself a cup of coffee had started becoming a chore.

During my last visit, I took her to the hospital for cardiac and general investigations.

And believe it or not, she fled from the hospital!

Can you imagine a seventy-something woman playing truant and escaping from the hospital?

Well, mine did.

So this time I decided I was staying in Mumbai until we got to the bottom of things. Fortunately, she agreed to be investigated under the guidance of Dr Hemant Pathare, an esteemed CVTS surgeon whom she has known since our MBBS days. Perhaps that familiarity gave her the reassurance she needed.

And today, she is on his operating table, about to undergo valve replacement surgery.

Even today, during a brief video call, she announced:

“काय ही शिक्षा करून ठेवली मला?”
What kind of punishment have you put me through?

And there it was again. That little stab of guilt.

Where does respecting a parent's wishes end, and where does doing what is in their best interest begin?

Should I simply have accepted her saying, “I am fine,” because it is her life and therefore her decision?

But what would that really have meant?

Watching her slowly lose her independence. Watching the breathlessness worsen. Watching this fiercely active woman struggle with the simplest things. Watching her world become smaller and smaller, until eventually she simply dwindled away.

No.

I couldn't do that.

Perhaps the doctor in me understood what untreated disease could mean. Perhaps the daughter in me simply could not stand by and watch it happen.

Yet when the doctor and the daughter live inside the same person, decisions become complicated.

I tell myself that this surgery is in her best interest, that it offers her the possibility of getting back some of the life she once enjoyed.

But somewhere inside me another voice asks: Am I convincing myself because I need to believe I have made the right decision?

Perhaps some of this guilt comes from living away from her. From knowing that she has been living by herself. From wondering whether I should have been there more.

There are no neat answers to these questions.

For now, I have made the decision I believe gives her the best chance of living, rather than merely existing, and I have stood by it.

There have been many times when I have sulked about being an only child. At moments like this, the responsibility can feel enormous because there is no sibling beside you with whom to divide the decisions, the worries or the guilt.

But life has compensated for that in another way.

I have been blessed with an extraordinary circle of friends. Friends I can rely on. Friends I can bank on. Friends whose number I can dial at any hour of the day or night, knowing somebody will be there at the other end.

So perhaps God has been kind to me in ways I sometimes forget to notice.

And I trust that He will continue to be kind.

Recently, one of my friends said to me,

“It has been relentless for you and your mum, everything the two of you have gone through.”

And yes, sometimes it does feel relentless.

But then my thoughts turn to Kiran.

Because while I have been busy being a daughter, he has quietly carried the consequences.

I have been virtually absent from family life while looking after Mum.

I haven't been there for Akshaj at a time when he needs our support the most.

I haven't been there to sit with Kiran at the end of the day and simply ask, “How was your day?”

In trying to be an obedient and responsible daughter, somewhere along the way I have been an absent wife and an absent mother.

And that brings its own guilt.

Life has a strange way of putting us in situations where fulfilling one responsibility inevitably means neglecting another. Perhaps adulthood is partly about accepting that we cannot always be everything to everyone, however much we want to.

There are moments when I find myself asking:

“Why me? Why me?”

And this is where my Hindu beliefs somehow bring me a little peace.

Perhaps there are things we are meant to go through that we will never completely understand. Perhaps there are old debts to be settled, lessons to be learnt, responsibilities we are destined to carry.

Maybe somewhere in some past life I did something for which I am now repaying the debt.

Who knows?

Because, after all...

Karma is a bitch, you know!

But perhaps karma isn't always about punishment.

Perhaps sometimes it simply places a responsibility in our hands and asks us what we are going to do with it.


So for now, I wait.

And I trust.

कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन।

We can only do the duty that lies before us.
The outcome was never entirely ours to control...

MKP
22.08.2026
Jaslok hospital, Mumbai

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

_Starry Laughs_

  _Starry Laughs_ My cousin, her friend Veena, and I went on a hill station adventure that felt like a breath of fresh air, literally. Girivan, nestled in the Sahyadri ranges, proved to be a tranquil escape from the crowded chaos of other popular hill stations. Veena, our gracious host, led us to her farmhouse, and the journey up the windy and uphill roads was an experience in itself. Finally reaching her house was like stumbling upon a hidden gem—a classic Spanish villa with bold yellow walls bordered in deep red, standing proudly amid lush greenery. Veena's garden resembled a botanical wonderland, featuring an assortment of trees, from mangoes to bayleaf, palm to bananas. It was a paradise where guava, jaam, amla, peppercorn, and betel leaf creepers coexisted in harmony, creating a serene and zen-like atmosphere. Our taste buds were treated to a culinary spread by Veena's talented housekeeper. Rustic chicken gravy, sautéed dried fish (बोंबील), bhakri, and warm इंद्रायणी भ...

आता कोनाचो नंबर!!

  Panchak movie is nothing but a hilarious rollercoaster of cosmic chaos directed by Jayant Jathar and Rahul Awate. This cinematic movie explores the belief that if you kick the bucket at a cosmic 'oopsie-daisy moment', five more family members might join the celestial waiting list – unless you've got a to-do list of rituals handy . The filmmakers have  chosen a picturesque Kokan location to enhance the overall cinematic experience.It's a breathtaking setting! The lush greenery, coconut trees, serene sea ,rustic houses, and muddy paths create a visually stunning backdrop for the movie. The Malwani dialect used  adds a unique charm to it.The movie apart from ticking my funny bone did get me thinking about the various superstions we have in our culture . Picture this: the superstition of avoiding  'झाडू '(dusting) after sunset, as if dust bunnies turn into nocturnal creatures. And let's not forget the ritualistic consumption of 'dahi-shakkar' before ex...

Rickshaaaaa ssss

  In the chaotic symphony of Indian transportation, the rickshaw emerges as the unsung hero of the streets – a three-wheeled chariot of triumph or, as I like to call it, the 4 by 4 for the bold. Sure, you may sacrifice your hairstyle to the winds and acquire a face mask of fumes mixed with dust, but the exhilaration is unparalleled! Behold the 'rickshaw walla', our knight in shining armour amidst traffic jams. With a swift gear change and fearless maneuvering on the wrong side of the road, he transforms a gridlock into a seamless escape, leaving passengers with a mix of dread and admiration. In those moments, shutting your eyes becomes a hopeful prayer for safe arrival. Navigating Pune, I've discovered the perpetual traffic jam opposite Pune University. Is it due to studious rebels bunking lectures, causing a perpetual traffic saga? Hmmmmm,only God or perhaps the dean knows the answer. This university gridlock triggered memories of college mischief, like the day I abandoned...