Skip to main content

Let’s Circle Back Over a Cake!!!


I was sitting in a very posh patisserie in the heart of Mumbai’s business district, pretending not to listen to the management meeting happening at the next table.

I failed completely and, if I’m honest, I continued to overhear every word because I wanted the gossip far too much. Heheheheheh...


There were three management consultants discussing the launch of a new chain of patisseries. And judging by the seriousness on their faces, you would think they were negotiating the national budget rather than deciding where Mumbai should buy its next croissant!

Saarvi, was one of them ..

Mumbai born and bred, dressed entirely in black, with light eyes outlined in dark kohl, she had the sort of piercing look 

She leaned forward.

Saarvi: “Right. Let’s align on the launch strategy. Mumbai has to be our flagship market. Location, product mix and customer experience have to work together.”

There it was.

Align. Strategy. Flagship. Customer experience.

Four management-consultant words before the first sip of matcha.

Across from her sat Bikram from Delhi.

Bikram did not look aligned.

In fact, Bikram looked distinctly un-aligned.

He frowned at the presentation.

Bikram: “I understand what you’re saying, Saarvi, but in South Delhi we wouldn’t position it like this.”

Saarvi’s eyebrow moved approximately two millimetres.


Saarvi: “Yes, Bikram. But this isn’t just South Delhi we are talking about ."

Silence.

At this point Jonathan, the third consultant, stepped in.

Jonathan was South African, but had lived in London long enough to acquire that very British ability to disagree with everybody without ever sounding disagreeable.

Jonathan: “I think both points are valid. Perhaps we should look at the data before we lock ourselves into a position.”

Nobody had won.

Nobody had lost.

But there was no firm decision either!

Infact now there was going to be more data.

Bikram tried again.

Bikram: “My concern is scalability. Back in South Delhi, premium customers expect space. You can’t squeeze six tables into a tiny shop and call it luxury.”

Saarvi: “In Mumbai, if you find six tables’ worth of space, Bikram, you open two branches.”

I nearly choked on my drink.

My drink, incidentally, deserved its own management presentation.

It was kesar milk with toffee-nut syrup.

Essentially caramel had met ras malai, removed the rasgullas, hired a consultant and rebranded itself as a beverage.

East meets west fusion drink but very delish nevertheless!


Meanwhile, the meeting continued.

Jonathan: “So what’s our key differentiator?”

Saarvi: “Indian flavours, European patisserie techniques, premium positioning.”

Bikram: “But we need consistency across markets.”

Saarvi: “Of course.”

Bikram: “And proper benchmarking.”

Jonathan: “Agreed.”

Saarvi: “We’ll benchmark.”

Another sacred management word had entered the room.

Then came market segmentation, unit economics, brand architecture, consumer behaviour, operational feasibility, ROI, footfall, deliverables, next steps and, inevitably...

Bikram: “We need to circle back on the pricing.”

Circle back.

Nobody in management ever simply returns to something.

They circle back.

Possibly several times.

Sometimes for years.

By now Saarvi was on her second matcha.

Jonathan was calmly dismantling a coffee cupcake.

Bikram was still defending South Delhi.

Bikram: “See, in South Delhi...”

Saarvi looked at him.

He stopped.

Jonathan quietly took another bite of his cupcake.

Eventually, three matchas had disappeared.

Three coffee cupcakes had been sacrificed to corporate strategy.

My kesar-toffee-nut-ras-malai-without-the-rasgulla drink was finished.

Saarvi closed her laptop.

Saarvi: “Fine. I’ll revise the proposal. Bikram, send me your numbers. Jonathan, can you look at the operating model?”

Jonathan: “Absolutely.”

Bikram: “Fine by me.”

A pause.

Then Jonathan delivered the sentence that has probably ended ten million management meetings around the world:

Jonathan: “Great. Let’s catch up on a Teams call.”

And that was it.

Two hours of strategy.

Three cities.

Three matchas.

Three cupcakes.

One unresolved pricing model.

And another meeting to discuss the meeting.

I smiled into the last little pool of saffron-caramel milk at the bottom of my glass.


We travel across cities, carry our experiences with us, defend the places that shaped us, disagree over numbers, invent impressive words for fairly ordinary problems, and convince ourselves that somewhere inside a PowerPoint slide there must be an answer.

Mumbai will remain Mumbai.

Delhi will remain Delhi.

Jonathan will continue to be diplomatic..

The patisserie may become a hundred-store empire, or quietly disappear in a few years.

But there will always be another spreadsheet.

Another coffee.

Another opinion.

And, somewhere on everyone’s calendar...

another Teams call...Isn’t it?

MKP 
18.8.2026
BKC 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

_Starry Laughs_

  _Starry Laughs_ My cousin, her friend Veena, and I went on a hill station adventure that felt like a breath of fresh air, literally. Girivan, nestled in the Sahyadri ranges, proved to be a tranquil escape from the crowded chaos of other popular hill stations. Veena, our gracious host, led us to her farmhouse, and the journey up the windy and uphill roads was an experience in itself. Finally reaching her house was like stumbling upon a hidden gem—a classic Spanish villa with bold yellow walls bordered in deep red, standing proudly amid lush greenery. Veena's garden resembled a botanical wonderland, featuring an assortment of trees, from mangoes to bayleaf, palm to bananas. It was a paradise where guava, jaam, amla, peppercorn, and betel leaf creepers coexisted in harmony, creating a serene and zen-like atmosphere. Our taste buds were treated to a culinary spread by Veena's talented housekeeper. Rustic chicken gravy, sautéed dried fish (बोंबील), bhakri, and warm इंद्रायणी भ...

Not All Lights Are in the Sky!!

Travelling for me is not about ticking boxes. Not about doing ten activities in one day or chasing thrills like a reality show contestant. For me, travel is about people. The strangers who become stories. The conversations that quietly sit in your heart long after the photos are forgotten. I have already written pages about Tromsø. The lights. The snow. The frozen eyelashes. But when I look back, the real glow also came from the people we met. Like Håkon. I was sitting alone at a table in Sann Café, guarding my mushroom soup and freshly baked bread like a squirrel with winter supplies. The rest of the family had gone to order. From the corner of my eye, I had noticed the man at the next table earlier. He was enjoying a glass of Chardonnay with something called a Norwegian Sann burger. Which, let us be honest, is just a beef burger wearing a Scandinavian accent. He introduced himself. Håkon. From Tromsø originally, now living near Oslo. A teacher. In town for the annual film festival. H...

The waiting ..

A few weeks ago, I was running a routine telephone clinic. As I glanced through the notes before the next call, I knew this would not be an easy conversation. She was a follow up patient, someone we had seen only a week earlier. That day, I had to do what doctors dread saying the words clearly and honestly. Her bowel cancer was advanced, widespread, and carried a poor prognosis. Continuing aggressive treatment for her head and neck cancer would only cause more suffering, without benefit. She already sensed this, but hearing it confirmed felt final, heavy, irreversible. When I asked how she was, she answered with unexpected calm. “I have accepted my illness,” she said. “And I know I am going to die soon. What is hardest is the waiting.” She spoke of the uncertainty, not knowing how, or when. The endless waiting that made her restless, unable to plan, unable to settle. She had always dreamed of going to Orlando. But travel insurance was impossible. Her husband, kind and determined, had e...