Skip to main content

Chelsea in Full Bloom…And Mum in Full Form!

Today’s Chelsea floral display walk from Sloane Square was basically a marathon disguised as a flower show .

From the giant zodiac installation woven with wicker, leaves and flowers…to Medusa staring dramatically into our souls…to moon landscapes, dragons and colour-themed window displays that looked straight out of a fantasy film…every corner was bursting with creativity. Absolute feast for the eyes…and mild punishment for the legs .Thankfully, there were abundant benches along the route where tired souls like us could recharge.

The streets were overflowing with Instagrammers. Some had actual professional photographers following them around while they struck Pose No. 201 in front of the displays.
 At one point, one glamorous model occupied an entire floral backdrop for so long that my wonderfully naughty mum simply walked straight into the frame and stood there smiling innocently. Even when politely asked to move, she pretended not to understand a single word 
Needless to say, the three of us swiftly squeezed in and got our own photos taken !

The flowers themselves were a revelation. Blimey… I didn’t even know half these flowers existed. Thankfully, some visitors educated us along the way.

What I loved most was seeing so many women walking together…friends, sisters, mothers and daughters…laughing, chatting, posing, resting on benches and admiring beauty together. Somehow the flowers became secondary. The real display was people making memories in full bloom ...

21.05.2026
MKP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

_Starry Laughs_

  _Starry Laughs_ My cousin, her friend Veena, and I went on a hill station adventure that felt like a breath of fresh air, literally. Girivan, nestled in the Sahyadri ranges, proved to be a tranquil escape from the crowded chaos of other popular hill stations. Veena, our gracious host, led us to her farmhouse, and the journey up the windy and uphill roads was an experience in itself. Finally reaching her house was like stumbling upon a hidden gem—a classic Spanish villa with bold yellow walls bordered in deep red, standing proudly amid lush greenery. Veena's garden resembled a botanical wonderland, featuring an assortment of trees, from mangoes to bayleaf, palm to bananas. It was a paradise where guava, jaam, amla, peppercorn, and betel leaf creepers coexisted in harmony, creating a serene and zen-like atmosphere. Our taste buds were treated to a culinary spread by Veena's talented housekeeper. Rustic chicken gravy, sautéed dried fish (बोंबील), bhakri, and warm इंद्रायणी भ...

Not All Lights Are in the Sky!!

Travelling for me is not about ticking boxes. Not about doing ten activities in one day or chasing thrills like a reality show contestant. For me, travel is about people. The strangers who become stories. The conversations that quietly sit in your heart long after the photos are forgotten. I have already written pages about Tromsø. The lights. The snow. The frozen eyelashes. But when I look back, the real glow also came from the people we met. Like Håkon. I was sitting alone at a table in Sann Café, guarding my mushroom soup and freshly baked bread like a squirrel with winter supplies. The rest of the family had gone to order. From the corner of my eye, I had noticed the man at the next table earlier. He was enjoying a glass of Chardonnay with something called a Norwegian Sann burger. Which, let us be honest, is just a beef burger wearing a Scandinavian accent. He introduced himself. Håkon. From Tromsø originally, now living near Oslo. A teacher. In town for the annual film festival. H...

The waiting ..

A few weeks ago, I was running a routine telephone clinic. As I glanced through the notes before the next call, I knew this would not be an easy conversation. She was a follow up patient, someone we had seen only a week earlier. That day, I had to do what doctors dread saying the words clearly and honestly. Her bowel cancer was advanced, widespread, and carried a poor prognosis. Continuing aggressive treatment for her head and neck cancer would only cause more suffering, without benefit. She already sensed this, but hearing it confirmed felt final, heavy, irreversible. When I asked how she was, she answered with unexpected calm. “I have accepted my illness,” she said. “And I know I am going to die soon. What is hardest is the waiting.” She spoke of the uncertainty, not knowing how, or when. The endless waiting that made her restless, unable to plan, unable to settle. She had always dreamed of going to Orlando. But travel insurance was impossible. Her husband, kind and determined, had e...